The Zelienople Area Public Library subscribes to Ancestry.com Library Edition. Ancestry can be used anywhere within the library on a library computer or your own tablet or laptop. It is not available for remote use from home. We have a stand alone computer station set up for ancestry use, so you can bring a family member and speak quietly together without disturbing others in our computer center. For help logging into ancestry please ask the staff.
We have a Genealogy Club that meets once a month at the library under the direction of Susan Ennis, genealogist and retired school librarian. Meetings consist of a brief instructional time plus time to work on your individual family history with the help of Susan and her expert volunteers. Genealogy Club is free and open to all level of genealogy enthusiast. You can come to one meeting or you can to them all. It is not necessary to attend each session. For the next scheduled meeting, please check our event calendar or call the library at 724/452-9330.
The library works in cooperation with the Zelienople Historical Society and Historic Harmony, Inc. on genealogy questions. Links for those organizations and the Genealogy Department of the Butler Area Public Library can be found at the bottom of this page. If you are planning a visit to our library please call ahead and speak to the staff about an appropriate time. A call will help ensure that staff familiar with the collection are available. The number is 724-452-9330 or you may contact us online.
Available resources at the Zelienople Area Public Library include:
- Ancestry Library edition available for use in the library.
- Zelienople High School (Zelie-Anns) & Seneca Valley High School (Saga) Yearbooks (1923-2000) – some years not available – recently digitized for easy access
- We also have an incomplete collection of ECHO Yearbooks from Evans City High School and Pathfinders from Riverside High School – recently digitized
- Butler County Pennsylvania News of the Day, 1806-1901 – a 16 CD-ROM set of over 40 newspapers active in Butler County during the time period. NOTE: This CD set cannot be used or read by the library’s current PCs. The Library is actively looking into getting the content transferred onto (or into) a usable, searchable medium. 05/05/2022. An online index to the set can be found here,
- Connoquenessing Valley News Abstracts, 1879-1905 – a bound index of the newspaper of the same name
- Butler County Cemetery Inventory, Volumes 1-5
- History of Butler County Pennsylvania, 1927 by C. Hale Sipe
- Atlas of the County of Butler, and the State of Pennsylvania by G.M. Hopkins & Co., 1874
- 20th Century History of Butler and Butler County, Pa, 1909 by James A. McKee
- Vertical files on churches, businesses and personalities in Zelienople and Harmony
- Information on the Harmony Short Line Trolley Line
- Bound histories of surrounding counties including Lawrence, Beaver, Venango and Mercer Counties
- Family histories of local interest including:
- The Ziegler Family and Related Families in Pennsylvania by Gertrude Mohlin Ziegler, 1970
- The Descendants of Johannes Teets and Christina Walz by by Lois Teets Stokes and Clara Teets Cunningham, 2001
- The Story of Christian Buhl and His Descendants by Gertrude Mohlin Ziegler, 1991
Other Local Resources
Zelienople Historical Society
Butler Area Public Library Genealogy Library
Heritage Quest Online is available through the Butler Area Public Library to all card holders of Butler County libraries.